Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Ssdpsrv.exe in WindowsME

From: "Nick FitzGerald" <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:46:54 +1200

"Martin L. Drury Jr." <mdrury () ads-corp com> wrote:

Last night after I got home from work, I checked my Dell Laptop (which came
with ME preinstalled) and it too is running the ssdpsrv.  The only things
I've installed on it since I purchased it are Office 2000, IE6, and the
software/support drivers for my digital camera.  All of which I don't think
would have turned it on (although I could be wrong).

Actually, I'd say the digital camera may be a  more likely suspect
than you suggest (though you connected it directly to the laptop via
a USB or FireWire cable, not a network connection, right?)...

After reading up on UPnP though, I think the triggering item might be Home
Networking, or whatever it's called in ME.  I don't personally recall
turning it on, as my laptop automagically selected all the proper settings
for my ISP (which was kinda nice, and scary at the same time).  The
knowledge base article seems to suggest that UPnP is not turned on by
default, but it's possible some OEMs might have it enabled.

Indeed.

   http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q262/4/58.ASP

is interesting, but you should also look at:

   http://www.microsoft.com/technet/itsolutions/network/plan/insidenet/sohonet/upnpsup.asp

which rather firmly implicates the SOHO networking side of things.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald