Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Nortan Antivirus 2000 Poproxy.exe problem

From: Franklin DeMatto <franklin () qDefense com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2001 1:2:39 -0600

This was a known problem, already publicised in 1999.

Symantec fixed it, and also had POPROXY.EXE bind
to 127 so as to only accept connections from localhost.

See http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/877

Franklin DeMatto
franklin () qDefense com
qDefense - DEFENDING THE ELECTRONIC FRONTIER

-----
qDefense offers a wide variety of services at affordable prices
See http://qDefense.com/Services/services.html

Original messages:

Poproxy.exe is the email virus scanner included in Nortan Antivirus 2000...
While messing around with this i crashed the server by sending it
too many characters (269 or more).

Example:
perl -e '{print "A"x269}' |nc 10.0.2.1 110
where 10.0.2.1 is the windows machine running poproxy.exe

Can anyone else confirm this?

Hi! I am having difficulty confirming this for two reasons. Perhaps I am
doing something wrong. I am running Norton Antivirus 2000 with poproxy.exe
on MS Outlook 2000.
poproxy.exe SEEMS to only bind to localhost (127.0.0.1) instead of my IP on
the network (192.168.0.24). If I try to telnet to port 110 from another
Windows machine, it cannot connect. If I try to telnet to 127.0.0.1 from my
own machine, it connects fine. Once I did connect to it from localhost, I
sent 269+ chars to it and only received back "-ERR". I did not experience a
crash.

Again, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.