Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Verisign certificates problem

From: Michael Reilly <michaelr () CISCO COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 12:10:41 -0800

I'd have to say though that the CDP field works rather well.  I run a
rather
large set of CAs.  When we were just using the monolithic CRL, each client
takes a long time to do verification of certificates.  When we switched to
the distribution point extension, verification checking time fell
considerably.

Depends on which CA server you are using and on how large the CRL is.  We
have processed CRLs larger than 8kb in under a second but it took that CA
over 60 seconds to respond to the request to send the CRL.  Other vendors CA
servers respond much faster.  With a small CA and a fast responding server
it could take longer to verify the signature on the CRL than it takes to
actually get the CRL and check the contents.

michael