Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: TCP Timestamping and Remotely gathering uptime information

From: Chris Tobkin <tobkin () INTERSEC COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2001 14:47:51 -0600

The problem with releasing this information is that an attacker can see how
long the system has been online and possibly correlate that with what
patches are installed on the system telling whether it is likely to be
vulnerable to certain exploit(s).

'uname' is a little different in that it only gives away the information to
local users, once you're a local user, there are a lot of things you can do
to find out how long the system has been online and such.  Local vs. remote
would be my argument here.
Local users are more trusted and are therefore trused with "friendly"
information, such as uptime.  If the local users aren't trusted, then you've
got a heck of a lot of work ahead of you to keep them in the dark.  Like I
always say, once they're on the system, most times it's not hard to get the
entire box -- "Game Over, Man!  Game Over!".

Regarding linux and 500 days, it's more likely that a script kiddie would
look for systems with 300+ days uptime, certain OS and version, and certain
ports open which would be most likely to be systems that are "hands off" and
good ones to attack.  For example, if I found a system I nmap'd as and old
version of linux, with port 53 open, I'd suspect it's probably unpatched.

The trials and tribulations of "friendly" information...

// Chris
tobkin () intersec com