Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: FW: Vulnerability in Novell Netware

From: Jacek Lipkowski <sq5bpf () ACID CH PW EDU PL>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 18:32:28 +0100

On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Jeffrey Seaton wrote:

Yeah I took a look at this but it is not a problem at all. If a system
administrator is worried about someone logging in as a print server just
extend the objects attributes and add a simultaneous login
attribute. You can set this to 1 and only the print server will
login. You can do this with Console1 or schemax. These are free
utilities with Novell.

Yes, but what if you can DOS the print server (hp jetdirect for example
was vulnerable to DOS), or just switch it's power off (printers are
usually in more or less public areas). After a while the printer gets
logged out when it doesn't answer watchdog packets.

BTW, does ChangeToClientRights() work with netware 4.x or 5.x?

Jacek Lipkowski

ps. this vulnerability is hardly new, it was known for several years (in
netware 3.x), I seem to remember some discussion about
ChangeToClientRights() in the nw-hack list