Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft opening its source to selected parties

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () WIREX COM>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2001 13:26:18 -0800

Tobias Haustein wrote:

Dan Harkless wrote:

    In a major extension of corporate policy, Microsoft has quietly started
    a program to provide selected large enterprise customers with copies of
    the source code for Windows 2000 (Professional, Server, Advanced Server
    and Data Center), Windows XP (released betas) and all related service
    packs.

It is not well known, but Microsoft has given the source to universities
and research labs for some years now. There has been a web page at
research.microsoft.com concerning this matter and describing the
procedure to get the code. However, I'm not aware that this has led to a
significant increase in system security. I don't remember, whether it's
allowed for the researchers to talk about the code or about problems
with it.

Allegedly the university NDA said:

   * you are not allowed to disclose anything you learn from the source to
     anyone
   * there was a push to allow you to disclose what you learn to other
     universities that also had signed the NDA, but I don't whether this was
     successful
   * Microsoft owns all intellectual property resulting from your research
     involving the source

The NDA is itself under NDA, so all of the above is heresay that I picked up at
the first USENIX NT Workshop
http://www.usenix.org/publications/library/proceedings/usenix-nt97/  I wouldn't
sign either one, so I've never seen the source or the source NDA.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.
Chief Research Scientist, WireX Communications, Inc. http://wirex.com