Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: pam session

From: woods () ucar edu (Greg Woods)
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2001 09:13:49 -0600 (MDT)

Does anybody know why openssh (openssh-2.9p1) on a linux system does not call
pam_open_session if no pty is used? In this way the session modules (in
/etc/pam.d) are not activated.

There are other problems with the interaction between openssh and PAM as
well. For instance, if you have users that have a null password, which we
use when the user's shell is responsible for doing one-time password
token authentication, you get a core dump. We've had to install passwords
for these users (by calling a different PAM module that authenticates
with our timecard database) to get around this.

sshd is also the only application that has this problem. telnet
and rlogin do not.

--Greg