Bugtraq mailing list archives

Fwd: Microsoft Word macro vulnerability advisory MS01-034

From: "Steven McLeod" <stevenmcleod () hotmail com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 16:58:44 -0000

Hi,

Within minutes of Microsoft posting the bulletin on their site, my mailbox was swamped with emails from people asking the same two questions. I am therefore forwarding the below email (minus the sample document!) to the BugTraq mailing list to reach a wide audience and answer the two questions I keep getting asked:

1) Reporters asking when I notified Microsoft of the issue. As you can see below, it was the 23rd of April. Yes, I know, it was before Office XP/2002 even went on sale.

2) People asking for a sample document which defeats the macro checking. I think the most responsible course of action is to give users a chance to download the patch and/or antivirus updates before making an example available. SecurityFocus will no doubt make my sample document available at the URL http://www.securityfocus.com/bid/2876 after users have had a chance to protect themselves.

Regards,
Steven McLeod.