Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: MacOSX 10.0.X Permissions uncorrectly set - I got it

From: patpro <patpro () patpro net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:05:56 +0200

le 4/07/01 2:34, patpro à patpro () patpro net a écrit :

Another user pointed out that it might be a localization bug. As it already
happened in the past, I'm likely to consider this option as a serious one.

So it leads me to the following question :

does anybody using a pure english OSX install has noticed permission
corruption on his/her machine ? (no dev. release)

Well,

after sending this mail I've given a try to my speculations and managed to
reproduce the permission corruption of Desktop. Here is step by step what
I've done :

-1- booted an english install of OSX and logged in as admin User (english).
-2- added a user (test)
-3- logged out
-4- logged in as 'test'
-5- tuned OSX so that 'test' is a french user.
-6- logged out and in to check /Users/test/Desktop's permission : drwx------

-7- logged out and logged in as root (english) (bad bad boy)
-8- set prefered language to french
-9- logged out and in to ensure everything will work in french
-10- added a user (test2)
-11- logged out
-12- logged in as 'test2' (everything looks english)
-13- checked /Users/test2/Desktop's permission : drwxrwxrwx
-14- TADAAAAM here we are !

thanx to Kangoo (a fellow reader of the french MacOSX forum at
www.macplus.net) who pointed out that localization might be THE issue.

patpro
--
"Rien ne se perd, rien ne se crée, tout s'empile"
                             - Mon Bureau -