Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re(2): 'Code Red' does not seem to be scanning for IIS

From: Ken Eichman <keichman () cas org>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 19:15:32 -0400 (EDT)

I can correlate what Kelly reports -- *something* happened between 14-1500 GMT
today to drastically increase the number of 'code red' scans/infections. I've
been tracking them since Saturday on my IDS. Our class-b address space appears
to be high up on the worms scanning pattern. For all of 7/18 I recorded probes
from 8247 unique host IP addresses, presumably compromised with 'code red'.
Just during the 1900GMT hour today - one hour of logs - I recorded 'code red'
hits from 115124 different IP addresses. All of these probes are bouncing off
our firewall. The drastic increase in infections/probes began between 1300-
1400 GMT today and *seemed* to start leveling off around 1600-1700 GMT.

Ken Eichman                  Senior Security Engineer
Chemical Abstracts Service   Tel:   (614) 447-3838 ext 3230
2540 Olentangy River Road    Fax:   (614) 447-3855
Columbus, OH 43210           Email: keichman () cas org