Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows MS-DOS Device Name DoS vulnerabilities

From: Michael Poole <poole () troilus org>
Date: 06 Jul 2001 13:23:44 -0400

3APA3A <3APA3A () SECURITY NNOV RU> writes:

Hello ByteRage,

I completely disagree with your paper. It puts software developers and
users into false sense of security. Right now SECURITY.NNOV is working
out  few  MS-DOS  Device Name issues with vendors (not only in Windows
95/98/ME  but  also  in  NT/2000),  and  the  problem is definitely in
software,  not  in  operation system, because operation system behaves
exactly  as  expected  and  documented.

Having a specification that says something doesn't make it a good
spec.  I agree with ByteRage -- it is a fault in the OS (and its
specification) for the OS to parse file names specially regardless of
location in the filesystem hierarchy, simply because it opens up so
many security-related bugs.

 Later  we  will  publish  our
advisory.  Software  MUST check type of file it tries to access BEFORE
it  access  it,  if  this  can cause access to special device. Special
devices  under  Windows  allow raw access to ports, drives, tapes, etc
and  impact  of  such access can be same with impact of accessing /dev
under unix.

The notable difference is that in Unix, the system administrator has
control over where device files exist.  Under Windows, they exist
_automatically_, in every directory.  That's why it is such a problem
for applications running under Windows platforms, and (I believe) why
device files are not considered a serious problem for Unix-like
platforms.

If Microsoft keeps the current behavior for backwards compatibility,
then your conclusions about using functions such as GetFileType()
(rather than enumerating names) hold; but one can always hope that
the OS's behavior will be fixed.

-- Michael