Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Crashing X

From: Seth Arnold <sarnold () wirex com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2001 16:55:33 -0800

On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 09:26:53PM +0000, scott wrote:
I have discovered a little bug in K Desktop 2.1.2 that crashes your X Server.
[...]
Also I tried this in netscape and it didn't work so it suggests its a
konqueror error somewhere or other.

Absolutely not. No X client should ever be able to cause the X server to
crash. (Same deal with compilers and input files .. no input file, no
matter how maliciously written, should ever cause a compiler to
segfault.) This is a bug in XFree86, and, luckily, a known bug. Sadly, I
don't recognize the fix on XFree86's security page.[1]

The vuln-dev Message-ID is <3B822F5F.99227A5F () snosoft com>. I saw a fix
for it on September 16th, so I'm rather hoping XFree86 releases newer
than that have the fix integrated.

Cheers!

[1]: http://www.xfree86.org/security/

--
"In God we trust, all others we monitor."
 -- NSA, Intercept Operators's motto, 1970