Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Axis Network Camera known default password vulnerability

From: Torgeir Hansen <trenger () trenger ro>
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 08:32:53 +0100

I'd be more worried about the old firmwares (2.0x (I tested 2.12 also
which isn't vulnerable) that contain amongst others:
/cgi-bin/paramtool and /cgi-bin/hwtestio, you don't need to authorize to
access them.
(seems to be a misconfiguration in the webserver)

paramtool can be used like this:
"http://<ip_to_webcam>/cgi-bin/paramtool?--blargh

which will show the entire config of the webcam, including:
root.InternalSecurity.Passwd { root { passwd [ "plAsx1.0CzA.wd" ] (...)
Which shouldn't be too hard to crack :)
This could also reveal dialup info, like phone-numbers, username and
passwords.
(if this camera is set up to be serving images through dialup
connection)

And then there is /cgi-bin/hwtestio, which I think was really bad -
as it tells the user how to use it, and remember: you do not have to log
in to the web-pages to
access this script either!
Basically it tells you:
--------------------------
 -ix Test IO x times
 -rx Relay switch repeated x times
--------------------------
i.e. you can do "http://<ip_to_webcam>/cgi-bin/hwtestio?-r242424", and
the camera basically crashes.

PS! This IS old info, firmware upgrades that fix these problems exist
and have for a while.
And Chris and/or the - good for you that you actually managed to read on
axis' webpages, good on ya!

--torgeir

Chris Gragsone wrote:

  Axis Network Camera known default password vulnerability
  by Chris Gragsone
  Foot Clan