Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Relaying in MDaemon

From: "Tabor J. Wells" <twells () fsckit net>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:26:40 -0400

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:49:04AM -0500,
Arvel Hathcock <arvel () altn com> is thought to have said:

It seems like that Mdaemon SMTP server can be used for
unauthorized relaying. Mail can be relayed when sent
"FROM or TO known user", it means that mail sent "from"
the account of one of served domains always can be relayed.
There is no problem to specify any "from" user, for
example, system account "mdaemon".

Please read the manual.  There are ways of verifying addresses.  Also, the
default installation does not allow mail relaying.  You have enabled it
yourself.  There is a switch setting that prevents this sort of thing and it
is set by default.

Perhaps you should go download your product from your website and try this
yourself rather than just claiming the original poster didn't read the
documentation. I just downloaded a trial version of 4.0.5 and it relays
out of the box.

If the envelope from you provide matches a valid user (and MDaemon is the
default installed server user) at the local domain then you can relay.

And here I had been wondering why I was getting so much spam through
MDaemon servers that the various open relay blacklists were claiming were
secure. Slightly edited examples follow.

Tabor

A random invalid user fails:

220 example.com ESMTP MDaemon 4.0.5 UNREGISTERED; Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:11:35 -0400
ehlo blah
250-example.com Hello blah, pleased to meet you
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 0
mail from:<blah () example com>
250 <blah () example com>, Sender ok
rcpt to:<twells () fsckit net>
550 <twells () fsckit net>, Recipient unknown
quit
221 See ya in cyberspace

A known valid user succeeds:

220 example.com ESMTP MDaemon 4.0.5 UNREGISTERED; Fri, 17 Aug 2001 18:11:52 -0400
ehlo blah
250-example.com Hello blah, pleased to meet you
250-ETRN
250-AUTH LOGIN CRAM-MD5
250-8BITMIME
250 SIZE 0
mail from:<MDaemon () example com>
250 <MDaemon () example com>, Sender ok
rcpt to:<twells () fsckit net>
250 <twells () fsckit net>, Recipient ok
data
354 Enter mail, end with <CRLF>.<CRLF>