Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HTML Form Protocol Attack

From: Mark van Walraven <markv () wave co nz>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 10:16:07 +1200

On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 01:04:26PM +0100, Barnaby Gray wrote:
What I meant is to get any useful data back over the FTP DATA
connection (for LIST, RETR, STOR commands, etc.) you either have to
use a passive mode transfer in which case you need to get another
connection to connect to an arbitrary port on the server.  Or an
active mode transfer in which case you need to be able to listen on a
port specified in the PORT command. I believe this is a risk for

Hopefully I am not stating the obvious, but the argument to the PORT
command specify the IP address of the host to be used for the data
connection.  Therefore, the results of your LIST, RETR, STOR, etc.,
can be sent directly to some other host; a firewall that allows all
outbound connections is no obstacle.

Regards,

Mark.