Bugtraq mailing list archives

mea culpa (mea culprit?)

From: Bob Manson <bob () ECF UTORONTO CA>
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2000 20:02:47 -0400

On Mon, 4 Sep 2000, Signal 11 wrote:

"Redhat expressly disclaims any liability, dot... dot... dot..."  :\

Of course they do.  I had two concerns when I posted.  First, I wanted to
let others know that there might be a problem.  Well, Ok, first I thought
"Man, I'm dead".  Then I thought of the rest of you.

Anyway, I just finished looking at things on the machine and it really was
my fault.  An earlier rpm install had hit libc-2.1.3.so so I temporarily
grabbed another one and, to test it, named it libc-2.1.3.so.old and made a
sym link from libc.so.6 to it.  And then forgot about it.  The machine was
back up and I continued to work.  When I did the glibc update, I guess the
install got confused by stupidly linked file.

I'm sorry for any anxious moments I may have caused the people at RedHat,
and thank everyone again (from all over the world!) who replied with
suggestions.  Doesn't anyone sleep anymore?

        bob

Bob Manson                                        Phone (416)978-5898
Systems Administrator, ECF                        Fax   (416)978-7320
University of Toronto                      email  bob () ecf utoronto ca
Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4                       or  bob () ecf toronto edu