Bugtraq mailing list archives

Fwd: Re: Double clicking on MS Office documents from Windows Explorer mayexecute arbitrary programs in some cases

From: "http-equiv () excite com" <http-equiv () excite com>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2000 05:49:54 -0700

Hello there. Sorry to trouble you. We sent the following to
bugtraq () securityfocus com 4 times yesterday afternoon (18th), however we did
not receive your auto-notification of receipt for any of them.

is it working?

below illustrates that this exploit works in internet explorer 5.5 in ftp
mode. Clicking on an ftp link in internet explorer (or redirecting via
scripting or even meta tag refresh) converts IE5 into ftp mode, which if the
*.dll is in the same directory as a word document on the ftp server, the
*.dll executes. You don't have to download the *.dll and you don't have to
use Windows Explorer. IE5.5. and probabaly all IE5's in ftp mode do this
just fine. Also probably the majority of people have disengaged the 'confirm
after download' for word documents, which means there is no warning to this
at all.

http://www.malware.com