Bugtraq mailing list archives

Privacy issue: userData & saveSnapshot Behavior in Explorer

From: "Guille (Bisho)" <guille () REDESTB ES>
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2000 02:25:00 +0200

Sorry, I have to write again. I have just found the information about
the behaviors in explorer that could be a privacy problem.

userData Behavior
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/reference/behaviors/userData.asp

saveSnapshot Behavior
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/behaviors/reference/behaviors/savesnapshot.asp

Persistence Methods in explorer
http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/persistence/overview.asp

Microsoft should:
- Gave more information to customers about this feature and their
privacy issues.
- Place the option to deactivate the feature near the cookies options.
- Give an "alert level". Currently userData could only be activated or
disabled.

Also remains to check if the saveSnapshot data is kept in the same
location of userData (in Windows 2000, Spanish version C:\Documents and
Settings\Administrador\Datos de programa\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\UserData\0XBQ9WXY) and is deactivated from the same security
option as userData.

--
     \|||||||/    Guillermo Pérez Pérez
     < o   o >      - bisho () onirica com