Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Windows (me) printer sharing vulnerability

From: Slawek <sgp () TELSATGP COM PL>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:15:01 +0200

Thursday, October 26, 2000 4:18 AM +0200, Pedram Amini wrote:
[snip]
Replacing any of these files or adding files to the list will cause them
be transferred to a client if they choose to install your printer (or in
the
case of Windows ME automatically). Paths are preserved on file transfers.
Ex: from SYSTEM to SYSTEM and from SYSTEM\color to SYSTEM\color. So big
deal, you can put a trojan on the clients machine but how can you execute
it? This is the part that I can't find a solid answer to. To the best of
my
knowledge files can only be placed in the SYSTEM folder or its subfolders.

Here are some of the ideas I came up with given this limitation:
[snip]

Every VxD placed in SYSTEM\vmm32 is automatically loaded and executed on
system bootup.

Hope this helps ;)
Slawek