Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin (MS00-078)

From: Microsoft Security Response Center <secure () MICROSOFT COM>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 18:39:02 -0700

Hi All -

This is expected behavior, although it requires some explanation.

Security Bulletin MS00-030 ("Malformed Extension Data in URL")
provided a patch that changes how certain URLs are handled.  One of
the changes is that after applying the patch, directory names can't
include an extension that's normally associated with an executable
file type.  So, for instance, http://localhost/test.com/index.htm
would be treated as invalid, while
http://localhost/test.aaa/index.htm would be treated as valid.  We
did discuss this in the original version of MS00-030, but today we
updated it to make it more clear.  (See "What Does This Patch Do?" in
the FAQ)

The next question is why applying the patch for MS00-078 caused the
behavior from MS00-030 to occur.  The reason is that both of the
patches shipped their new functinality via W3SVC.DLL.  Whenever we
issue a patch, the fix is incorporated into the official code tree.
Future patches are always built using the then-current code tree.
This means that, when we issued MS00-030, the new URL handling became
part of the code tree for W3SVC.DLL.  When we issued the patch for
MS00-078, it contained a fix for its vulnerability, built atop the
current code tree, which already included the functionality for
MS00-030.  (BTW, to be 100% accurate, there actually isn't a new
patch for MS00-078 -- the bulletin points to the patch delivered in
MS00-057.  I glossed over this detail because the description was
complicated enough already).

One last point.  This does *not* mean that all security patches are
cumulative.  MS00-030 and MS00-078 shared behavior only because they
both shipped W3SVC.DLL.  If, for example, MS00-078 had included
XYZ.DLL rather than W3SVC.DLL, the behavior from MS00-030 would not
have been included in it.

Hope that helps clear up the mystery.  Regards,

Scott Culp
Security Program Manager
Microsoft Security Response Center