Bugtraq mailing list archives

TrendMicro InterScan VirusWall shared folder problem

From: "Michael W. Shaffer" <shaffer () LABS AGILENT COM>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:49:45 -0800

I could not find any reference to this particular issue on bugtraq,
and as it seems rather serious I decided to submit it.

This message concerns what seems to be a security 'feature' in all
versions of InterScan SMTP VirusWall for Windows NT at least through
version 3.4. The problem is not with the functionality of the
product but with the behavior of its installer. This issue probably
also affects installations of the FTP and HTTP VirusWall options as
well, but our site only uses the SMTP 'module' of this product.

The issue is that the ISVW installer appears to use the 'cacls'
command to adjust the permissions of the InterScan program
directory after it completes the installation. The alarming thing
is that the adjustment which is made is the addition of
'Everyone - Full Control' to the ACL. This action is taken by
the installer without any notification or question to the user and
regardless of what filesystem permissions were set on the filesystem
or parent directory before the install. This action also appears to
be taken during the course of an upgrade as well as a clean install.

As if this were not bad enough, the installer also creates a new
file share which exports the same InterScan program directory; again
with 'Everyone - Full Control' in the ACL and again without any
notification to the user during the installation.

The result of these two actions is that immediately after the
installation is completed there will be a gaping hole in the machine
on which ISVW resides which allows access to the ISVW executables
for anyone. This share includes the executables for the ISVW service
which normally would be started each time the machine is booted.
The possibilities are easily imagined...

In the real world, this feature affected one of our machines when
our Exchange administrator performed an install. Because of the
'Everyone - Full Control' share, all of the ISVW executables were
infected by a wandering copy of Win32 FunLove within minutes of
installation, and the entire server was subsequently infected when
the ISVW service was started.

Compounding this problem is the fact that in normal operation a
machine running ISVW cannot have any sort of anti-virus 'auto-protect'
system turned on since ISVW and the auto-protect would fight over
any temporary files used by ISVW to scan infected messages. In this
case we only detected the infection while running a manual virus
scan a day or so after the installation.

Our exchange administrator has had an ongoing dialogue with the
support department at TrendMicro over the last several weeks, but they
have yet to produce either a fix or an explanation for this behavior.
The last communication we received from them stated that this problem
would be fixed in version 3.4, but our testing indicates that this is
not the case.

The only workaround we have found so far is:

1. If at all possible, disconnect your machine from any network
   connections before the install.
2. Run the install.
3. Manually remove the share and adjust the filesystem ACL on the
   InterScan program directory to more sane values.
4. Run a manual virus scan of the entire machine.
5. Reconnect to the network and reboot or start the service.

As long as the share is removed and the filesystem permissions are
adjusted manually, there should be no ongoing threat from this
issue (at least until the next upgrade or install...).

If any of this appears to be innaccurate based on other experiences
with this product, please do not hesitate to let me know.

--
Michael W. Shaffer                     email: shaffer () labs agilent com
Research Computing Services            phone: +1 650.485.2955