Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: EZ Shopper 3.0 shopping cart CGI remote command execution

From: marc () EEYE COM (Marc)
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 18:07:23 -0800

Sent via eMail? Funny you mention that. One of the last clients we did a pen
test on was hacked just the same way. Ya a nice spoofed eMail from Symantxx
telling them to update PcAnywhexx.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that sending updates via eMail is
not the brightest of ideas. An eMail with a link to a file, on the software
vendors page, would be much better. Also no IT person should be running
"software patches" that were eMailed to them because who knows what exactly
is being "patched."

I don't know if EZ Shopper 3.0 has their patch posted on the web so this is
not necessarily directed straight at them but third party software vendors
as a whole.

Signed,
Marc
eEye Digital Security
http://www.eEye.com

"It is the years that blind you. Searching so hard for success you lose
grasp on the basic wonders of being alive."
-chameleon