Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: BRU Vulnerability

From: felicity () KLUGE NET (Theo Van Dinter)
Date: Sun, 11 Jun 2000 16:31:30 -0400

On Thu, Jun 08, 2000 at 02:05:26PM -0700, Jeremy Rauch wrote:
By default, BRU is installed setuid root.  If it isn't, and is run by a
non-root user, it complains:
bru: [W171] warning - BRU must be owned by root and have suid bit set

Clarification request:  Which version of BRU?  I got the RPM version of
BRU 2000 (v15 I believe) w/ a RedHat box set I bought one day:

rpm -q BRU2000
BRU2000-15.0P-2
rpm -V BRU2000
..?.....   /bin/bru
..?.....   /bru/bru
S.5....T c /etc/brutab
ls -la /bin/bru
-rwx--x--x   1 root     root       157396 Dec 18  1997 /bin/bru

The "rpm -V" shows no permissions difference between installed and package,
and the /bin/bru program isn't setuid.  It does complain about being
non-setuid, but it works just the same without it.

Many (most) users who install BRU probably never think to check if its
installed setuid.  Should it be?  Probably not, but it is a very real
vulnerability under a default install.

If you're worried about security, you should have done the standard

find / -perm +6000 -print

or the appropriate version thereof to find all of the setuid/gid programs on
your system.  Standard security practice.  If it has it but doesn't need it,
take it away.

--
Randomly Generated Tagline:
"Premature optimisation is the root of all evil." - Knuth