Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Remote Denial Of Service -- NetWare 5.0 with SP 5

From: conrad () CONRADWOOD NET (Conrad Wood)
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2000 10:21:50 +0100

40931 is Netware/IP why should that run on NW5???
If you are using "compatibilty mode" - that`s not a supported service and
according to novell should not be used in a production enviroment.
similar to an *experimental dhcp server* on linux ;)

Dimuthu Parussalla wrote:

Remote Denial Of Service -- NetWare 5.0 with SP 5

I encounter a buffer overflow bug in NetWare 5.0 with service pack 5. After
few minutes after the attack server issue a memory allocation error.

10-07-2000  12:29:53 pm:    SERVER-5.0-4631  [nmID=1001C]
     WARNING! Server XXXXX experienced a critical error.  The offending
process was suspended or  recovered.
     However, services  hosted by this server may have been affected.

I continued the attack another 1/h hr or so. then server issued a Abend
error and hangs.

10-07-2000  12:29:53 pm:    SERVER-5.0-4631  [nmID=1001C]
     WARNING! Server XXXXX experienced a critical error.  The offending
process was
     suspended or recovered.  However, services hosted by this server may
have been affected.

ATTACK INFO

Using a linux server connected to the same network. I did the following

[root@tik /root]# cat /dev/urandom |nc 192.168.1.15 40193

NetWare TCP port 40193 doesn't handle frag TCP packets as well. using isic I
got the same results

FIX
-----

No FIX yet