Bugtraq mailing list archives

FW: Undocumented back door

From: rhillery () TEC NH US (NHCTC)
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:08:33 -0500

Quis custodiet custodes ?

-----Original Message-----
From: aleph1 () securityfocus com [mailto:aleph1 () securityfocus com]
Sent: Thursday, 27 January, 2000 18:20
To: Robert Hillery
Subject: Re: Undocumented back door

Please send it to bugtraq () securityfocus com. Cheers.

* Robert Hillery (rhillery () tec nh us) [000127 20:40]:
Elias,
  What follows is a copy of my submission to SANS GIAC re a curious open
port I had at tcp 7323 on an NT server system w/ SyGate's 3.1 NAT
installed.
  Greg Shipley suggested I send it to you at BugTraq, also.

Bob Hillery,
NHCTC Pease
Cogito, ergo sum...cogito

"FYI, I discussed a possible solution to one of Steve's examples at last
week's SNAP DC conference.  Specifically, he had an indication of a
session directed to the unknown port of 7306 and was at the time unsure of
its meaning.
  I had a similar problem -- and discovered the answer.  I had just set up
an NT server as a multi-homed system w/ NAT (SyGate 3.1 build 553)

and did an internal port scan to verify the setup.  I was surprised by an
active listening port at 7323.
  I did a telnet from another computer in the net and got (sic):

""SyGate 3.11 for Windows 95/98/NT build 556

Welcome to engine remote controller!

For security purpose, engine remote controller can be access only from
your
Local Area Network (LAN).

======== Function Key ==========

P            Stop Service

D            Display Engine Status

N            To Dial ( Dial-Up Networking only )

F            To Hang Up( Dial-Up Networking only )

T            Display All TCP Connection(s)

U            Display All UDP Connection(s)

Ready to accept command. Press one function key, or 'H' for help.""

 WOW.
  I was told in my first email to Sybergen, who write SyGate, SyShield,
and
Sy Access, that although it is completely undocumented this was for
"maintenance purposes  only." My second email asked the what if -- any
other
access route?  The answer was (ahem):