Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: stream.c - new FreeBSD exploit?

From: frank () STUDENT RUG AC BE (Frank (sysadmin))
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 11:39:51 +0100

The above kernel message is from Linux 2.2, *NOT* FreeBSD.

The behaviour and impact would appear to vary from OS to OS and maybe
platform too.  It does not appear to cause Solaris7/NetBSD to panic
(in a hurry anyway).

Nothing on Windows 2000 (RC3) either ...

Regarding the firewall rules: I know that the 'connection keeping' is
important, but difficult. I also know that ipfilter does The Right Way(tm).

How about others? Cisco has some connection keeping, but I heard that it is
not the same. Will it block the stream.c attack? And ipchains/ipfw? I guess
not, but would like some confirmation ...

frank

--
Frank Louwers                                      Unix System Administrator
PGP:  1024D/3F6A7EDD D597 566A BDF5 BBFB C308  447A 5E81 1188 3F6A 7EDD

<HR NOSHADE>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>