Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: problem with SNMPc

From: jcomeau () DIALTONEINTERNET NET (John Comeau)
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 20:22:11 -0500

CastleRock Computing may be to blame; they responded promptly and
responsibly to my complaint - jc

John Sancho wrote:
I apologize for the inconvenience caused by our discovery mechanism.  We are
currently in the process of changing the installation mechanism to ensure
that users have control over the process before the initial startup.  This
new implementation will be in our next update within a few weeks.

I am not sure how we can post to "bugtraq".  Can you give me some more info
about that ?  Or perhaps you could post my message to buqtraq on our behalf.

regards - john

John J. Sancho
john () castlerock com

In the past 3 weeks, at least 4 users of your product were contacted by
me because I found them trying to snmpwalk my border router. In each
case they blamed your software for scanning the Internet before filters
could be applied. This will be construed as an attack by many
security-conscious network administrators. Please post to bugtraq (a
mailing list for security issues) a description of what SNMPc does and
what you are going to do to fix this errant behavior.

--
John Comeau - Chief Operating Officer
Dialtone Internet - Extremely Fast Web Systems