Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: NAV 5.0 and embedded files

From: Andreas Marx <amarx () GEGA-IT DE>
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 10:36:31 +0100

Hi!

We, speaking for the Anti-Virus Test Center at the University of
Magdeburg, Germany ( http://www.av-test.org ), looked at the
detection of Norton AV 7.0 and everythink looks OK for your types
of embedded files (XLS and EXE).

However, it is correct, that there are massive problems in some
programs which cannot detect all embedded objects etc. We test
these things for about one year now and you could find the results
at our web page, however, still as XLS sheets and DOC files only
(free of charge, of course). Divided into client, server and groupware
products. But we are working on an online version, which will be
released very soon...

We tested COM, DOC, EXE, PPT, VBS and XLS files embedded in
DOC, PPT, RTF, SHS, XLS files for Office 97 (Standard) and 2000
("Web file format", MSO).

Some scanners like InoculateIT are very good, but some others like
Panda, Sophos, AVG or Norman are rather bad. You can find this
tests in line 150-168, after the test of runtime-compressed files.

Hope, this will help you to solve these types of problems. If not,
please feel free to contact us.

cheers,
Andreas Marx

!!! Achtung: Neue Adresse und Telefon-/Faxnummer !!!

--
AV-Test.de - Ein Verbundprojekt der Arbeitsgruppe Wirtschafts-
informatik der Otto-von-Guericke Universitaet Magdeburg und

Kontakt: Andreas Marx, amarx () gega-it de, http://www.gega-it.de
GEGA IT-Solutions GbR, Klewitzstr. 7, 39112 Magdeburg, Germany
Tel: 0391/6075466, Mobil: 0177/6133033, Fax: 0391/6075469