Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Foolproof Security Vulnerability

From: Seth Arnold <sarnold () WILLAMETTE EDU>
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:24:16 -0800

* Bryan Hughes <techno () CROSSLINK NET> [001210 17:07]:
FoolProof Security is a desktop security application for Windows
95/98/ME. Its purpose is to block users from accessing all programs,
except those which are intended by the administrator. Additionally, it is
intended to allow the user to only save files to specific locations
(usually the floppy disk drive). FoolProof Security is usually found in
computer labs, or on publicly accessible systems.

The entire process Bryan described seems to depend upon FoolProof
Security's method of deciding which applications get to run. Based
entirely on his description of a sample exploit, I understand FoolProof
Security to allow all programs except those not explicity denied.

I think we all know how this works -- instead of denying certain things,
they should instead be *allowing* only certain things. What would
prevent me from writing a .bat or .com file using notepad? Word? Does
the Run line allow shell-redirection? (eg, "echo <neatassembly> >>
c:\config.sys")

Of course, using anything other than Ghost (which I think is owned by
Symantec now) to secure a windows 95/98/me host is doomed to failure. :)
(And before you reply, check out what Ghost does -- disk image copies.
Not much can survive a new disk image written out. :)

--
``Oh Lord; Ooh you are so big; So absolutely huge; Gosh we're all
really impressed down here, I can tell you.''