Bugtraq mailing list archives

BugTraq ID 1419 Response

From: Scott Walker Register <scott.register () US CHECKPOINT COM>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 18:20:00 -0500

This email addresses BugTraq ID 1419, "Check Point Firewall-1 Spoofed Source Denial of Service Vulnerability".  This
BugTraq listing asserts that FireWall-1 is susceptible to a Denial of Service attack based on sending UDP packets with
matching source and destination IP addresses.

Check Point takes this and all other possible security issues very seriously.
In this case, we have made every effort to work with the authors and reproduce
the reported behavior.  However, even after extensive testing we have been
unable to reproduce this vulnerability.  This testing was done both with and
without IP Spoofing protection enabled, with the provided source code and other
tools.  The authors could not provide us with valid FireWall-1 version
information, although 3.0, 4.0, and 4.1 are listed as vulnerable; please note
that version 3.0 is no longer supported on non-embedded platforms.

At this time, Check Point does not believe this is an actual vulnerability. If
anyone has successfully reproduced this condition or has further information, please contact SECURITY-ALERT ()
checkpoint com.

Thanks,
-SwR

Scott.Register () us CheckPoint com  ||  FireWall-1 Product Manager
               Check Point Software Technologies, Inc.
2255 Glades Road    /    Suite 324A     \  Boca Raton, FL  33431
Voice: 561.989.5418 | Fax: 561.997.5421  |   07/31/00   18:20:01