Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Tumbleweed Worldsecure (MMS) BLANK 'sa' account password vulnerability (fwd)

From: Eric Monti <ericm () DENMAC COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 14:35:04 -0500

Heh... good to see this out finally. My recent post regarding MSDE made reference to a security product that "I couldnt
name'. This was it.

I'm glad it's out of the bag now.

The xp_cmdshell functionality in SQL will allow you full system-level access to the NT server running the product as
well.

It sounds like we went through the same thing with Tumbleweed that you did. We brought this to their attention after
catching it in an install. We found it because our NT hardening template uses passfilt, which caused the installation
to fail since the  null password didnt make it through passfilt checks. I will be frank in saying that I am disgusted
with Tumbleweed (and WorldTalk before them) for their stance regarding this hole.

Tumbleweed has known about this for a while now, but has made no public announcement. The 'workaround' the proposed to
us was to assign an 'sa' password, but that seems to break the product whenever we try it.

Hopefully we will now see some real action out of them.

Thanks 'NT HATER'

Eric Monti
Denmac Systems
ericm () denmac com