Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More fun with WWWBoard

From: markjr () PRIVATEWORLD COM (Mark Jeftovic)
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 13:19:10 -0700

At 11:50 AM 9/24/99 -0400, Speed wrote:
You know... alot of people here give Matt Write a hard time.  On the one
hand, yeah, wwwboard is insecure.  But maybe he simply doesn't have time
to deal with it anymore.

Just accept that it is insecure / incomplete, and perhaps use one of the
other various web boards that are now available.  Matt Wright's was one of
the first useable web boards, and it was the spark for others that were
developed since then.

No, I wouldn't recommend using wwwboard, but I think we should lighten up
a little because his original contribution was in good faith.  And others
have picked up where he left off.

If he doesn't have the time to deal with it anymore then he should either
fix the problems in the existing versions that he is *still distributing*
or shut down distribution.

As long as he keeps distributing insecure software with known
vulnerabilities and keeps neglecting to fix it and never bothers
trying to advise people already using it, then security minded
people are going to carp about it and non-security minded people
are going to get burned by it.

regards, mark

----
Mark Jeftovic, <markjr () easydns com>