Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sun's TTSESSION Vulnerability

From: charlieg () IC SUNYSB EDU (Charlie Giannetto)
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 14:19:01 -0400

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999, Richard L. Goerwitz wrote:

"Bauer, Rich" wrote:

One of our systems administrators recently told us that Sun's fix for the
TTSESSION vulnerability (running ttsession with DES) prohibits root from
using CDE in an NISPLUS environment, and prohibits any user from using CDE
in a stand-alone environment.  Is there a patch forthcoming or some other
work-around that doesn't have these limitations ?

For us the key is that CDE is essentially useless in a stand-alone en-
vironment, or any environment in which NIS(+) is not being used.  This
is certainly not how Sun intended the product to function.

  It does work without NIS/NIS+ (well sort of), it's just that you have to
create an /etc/netid (see man netid for details) and /etc/publickey (man
-s 4 publickey) files.  However, certain applications (dtpad, dtmail,
mailtool, and some others) still won't run.  Also, I couldn't get a
console root login to work under CDE either ... although some might
consider this a plus.

  Now, I can't take credit for discovering this, that goes to Dan
Astoorian who pointed this out to me in a related discussion.

  Also, Sun has issued the following bug id assoiciated with running
ttsessoin with DES: 4272834