Bugtraq mailing list archives

Netscape 4.x buffer overflow

From: vision () WHITEHATS COM (Max Vision)
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 17:46:26 -0700

I have found a buffer overflow in Netscape Communicator probably affecting
all versions.  The problem occurs when Communicator attempts to load any
dynamic font where the length field is shorter than the font data area.  I
have tested this on 4.61 and 4.7 under Windows.  Netscape has been
notified of the problem and expect a fix for 4.8.

As the problem manifests during the loading of a dynamic font, and portion
of the font data that exceeds the specified size of the font triggers the
problem.  Thus, the potential for widespread DoS attacks via email.  I
suspect, but have not pursued, the possibility of exploiting the overflow
to execute arbitrary code.

[ Note: I originally submitted this issue to bugtraq October 8th, but it
was not posted.  The above two paragraphs are *exactly* the same as
another accepted post "Netscape 4.x buffer overflow" except I replaced
"key length" with "dynamic fonts" and it is equally valid.  For more
information and a sample exploit see
http://www.whitehats.com/browsers/maxvisioncrash47/index.html ]

Max Vision

I have found a buffer overflow in Netscape Communicator probably
affecting all versions. The problem occurs when Communicator attempts
to validate any key where the key length is > 2k.  I have tested this
on 4.61 and 4.7, unix (Irix) and Windows.  Netscape has been notified
of the problem and expect a fix for 4.8.

As the problem manifests during the check of the key, any portion of
the key chain which has a key > 2k triggers the problem.  Thus, the
potential for widespread DoS attacks via email.  I suspect, but have
not pursued, the possibility of exploiting the overflow to execute
arbitrary code. -- Michael Breuer mbreuer () siac com