Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Resistance is futile, or what I learned trying to secure the scanner

From: adam () HOMEPORT ORG (Adam Shostack)
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 17:28:18 -0400

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 11:17:29AM -0700, David LeBlanc wrote:
| I was in the middle of the effort to try and protect ISS' Scanner against
| the licensing being cracked, so I've got some unique insight.  It took the
| crackers about 3 months to crack the 4.0 release of the NT scanner (I was
| honored that they'd rather crack the NT version I built instead of the UNIX
| version, but...).

Hey, we went through this too, ya know! :)

David and his group went to a lot more effort than we did.  I
advocated against doing this work, even though it would have been a
lot of fun, and even though I was really interested in it as a
fascinating problem, it relates very closely to the copy-protection
problem, which is unsolved.  I don't think you can build a system in
software only which a sufficiently dedicated attacker can't crack.
This is the position that I advocated when we were building
Hackersheild, and thats the position that prevailed: That its not
worth spending a lot of time and energy on, because you will lose if
your attacker has control of the system on which you run.

Adam

--
                                                       -Hume