Bugtraq mailing list archives

RealNetworks RealServer G2 buffer overflow - WORKAROUND (fwd)

From: ah1 () SECURITYFOCUS COM (ah1 () SECURITYFOCUS COM)
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 14:28:46 -0800

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 15:08:08 -0700
From: Mark <mark () NTSHOP NET>
To: WIN2KSECADVICE () LISTSERV NTSECURITY NET
Subject: RealNetworks RealServer G2 buffer overflow - WORKAROUND

A Web site reader at www.ntsecurity.net, Brendan Brannen, sent me this
message with a workaround to help any of you that are using the RealServer
G2:

"While this may not be the best fix for everyone, on our server, I simply
went in to the .cfg file and (after backing it up of course) deleted the
entry that specified the admin port. I then stopped and restarted the
rmserver service. While this does of course effectively turn off the
administrative capabilities of the software, you can of course switch
between your backed up version and the new one of the CFG file to re-enable
this service.

It's a kludge, but it fixes the hole until Real comes out with something..."