Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: WordPad/riched20.dll buffer overflow

From: pedward () WEBCOM COM (pedward () WEBCOM COM)
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 1999 01:17:50 -0800

I seem to recall a Linux kernel guru explaining that the x86 MMU doesn't actually
support non-exec pages, or some such.  It doesn't support it, or it just doesn't
work right.  I remember bringing up the issue of noexec and that was the answer.

--Perry

    Ok, here it is, on page 58, it's talking about Access Control of virtual
pages, and it says, literally if a page can be read, it can be executed. I
remember that this took my attention for some days, then I forgot about it, until
you mentioned it.

    richie

--
Perry Harrington                 Director of                   zelur xuniL  ()
perry () webcom com             System Architecture               Think Blue.  /\