Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: buffer overflow in HP JetDirect module (probably affects all HP printers with network support)

From: cazz () RUFF CS JMU EDU (Brian)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 20:21:20 -0500

Obviously it's a M680x0 CPU with 512 KB of RAM in our model, so
writing an exploit should be fairly easy. The nice point about it is
that most people wouldn't expect their printer to be compromised --
and since there is no logging on the printer, you can't easily be
tracked down...

HP JetDirects can have the web server turned off (a good idea) and use
remote syslog to log all connections to the printer.  The HP print
server control software automaticly turns the web configuration back
on, so I wouldn't use that, I would physicly go up to the printer and
disable all services you don't need.

If only one could add in ip allow ranges, then I would be happy.

-cazz

<!-- attachment="bin0a29070" -->
<HR>
<UL>
<LI>application/pgp-signature attachment: stored
</UL>