Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Oracle 8 root exploit

From: alan () CLUESERVER ORG (Alan Olsen)
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 15:19:11 -0800

On Tue, 16 Nov 1999, Chris Calabrese wrote:

I just tested some machines both with and without
Oracle's patch for the bug related to trusting
$ORACLE_HOME when calling dbsnmp.

Good news.  The patch does indeed address the bug
related to using sym-links from ./dbsnmpc.log and
./dbsnmpw.log to over-write root-owned files that
Brock Teller reported on the other day.

However, Intelligent Agent 8.1.5 (the version Brock
reported on) does not have a patch available for it.
This is pretty strange considering that there's a
patch for 8.0.5 and that other 8.0.6 and 8.1.x
releases don't have the vulnerability.

Are there patches for earlier versions of Oracle?  (Specifically 7.3.4.)
The exploit works on that version as well.

alan () ctrl-alt-del com | Note to AOL users: for a quick shortcut to reply
Alan Olsen            | to my mail, just hit the ctrl, alt and del keys.
    "In the future, everything will have its 15 minutes of blame."