Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: ircd exploit in ircu based code (fwd)

From: blackye () UNDERNET ORG (Andrea Cocito)
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 01:28:02 +0200

From: Kevin Day <toasty () DRAGONDATA COM>
To: BUGTRAQ () SECURITYFOCUS COM
Subject: ircd exploit in ircu based code

Most irc networks using ircu based servers have a bug that can cause users
to segfault the server.

In m_join, the code doesn't check to see if get_channel returned failure (by
returning NULL).

As of now I can't even find this bug in the oldest versions of our code,
for sure isn't there in u2.10.06, I still have to check on the previous
2.10.05 that is still packaged in some Linux/BSD distributions.

Would you please let me know in what version of the Undernet's code you
found it and, in case there is still a way to core the current servers
report the way to exploit it on bugs () undernet org ?

We would appreciate a lot if any bug that can cause a server coredump
is reported on bugs () undernet org with a few days of advantage respect
to the other public lists... so we can fix it on te fly (we happen to
have a living network with 38k users on it...).

Thanks a lot,

Andrea aka Nemesi,

Undernet's coder committee.