Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Hotmail

From: schwarz () PHYSIK TU-BERLIN DE (Georg Schwarz)
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 23:17:16 +0100

I contacted Microsoft/Hotmail asking them to close the account
of that was listed in the backdoored tcp wrapper source code.
I also forwarded the offending code.

The word back from them is that they will not close it.  Theft
of passwords and hacking does not violate thier terms of
service.

please keep in mind that there is probably no proof or any plausible
evidence that the ower of that address has actually something to do with
that hacked up tcpd version. It *might* just as well have been a third
party who inserted that address in order to make that owner loose that
particular email. I don't think it's very likely, but it cannot be ruled
out, so simply closing down the account without any further knowledge of
that case would, IMHO, be a wrong move for a service provider, maybe
even violating customers' rights (depending on that country's laws).
--
Georg Schwarz     schwarz () physik tu-berlin de, kuroi () cs tu-berlin de
Institut für Theoretische Physik       +49 30 314-24254, FAX -21130