Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Critical Updater Security

From: carson () tla org (Carson Gaspar)
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 21:50:56 -0500

"Gale" == Gale S Ringley <gringley () HOTMAIL COM> writes:

Gale> The behaviour you describe occured because at some point, you or someone
Gale> else who uses your computer told Windows to trust all content from
Gale> Microsoft.  The wait and restart was indeed an update to Windows Update.
Gale> To prevent this in the future, you will have to open in IE4
View> Internet Options>Content>Certificate>Publishers and remove the
Gale> publishers you no longer want to trust.

Not true. I can confirm this. It transferred _something_  and then
asked if I wanted to restart. After that, I got the usual "do you want
to trust this ActiveX control" message before it scanned my system for
new updates.

Something else is going on.

--
Carson Gaspar -- carson () cs columbia edu carson () tla org carson () cugc org
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~carson/home.html