Bugtraq mailing list archives

sscan 0.1 alpha release

From: jsb4ch () HOTMAIL COM (johann sebastian bach)
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 12:37:01 PST

hi, early june last year i emailed "mscan 1.0" to rootshell.com.  i
didnt expect there to be such an explosion thereafter.. but almost all
the major security organizations released advisories about it, etc, and
to this day i get script kiddies on irc msg'ing me asking me why it wont
compile on such and such a box, asking me to add new vulnerability
checks, etc.  at any rate, mscan 1.0 was the most disgusting mess of
code i've personally ever seen, so as repentance i have coded "sscan".
this tool is much more powerful than mscan, and has been created with
self-replication (integration into internet worms), configurability, and
expandibility in mind.  a built in scripting language allows anyone with
*no* programming knowledge to add vulnerability checks in a matter of
seconds.

os detection is done with both tcp/ip stack id, and more traditional
methods as well...

the alpha release of sscan is available at:
http://bear.berkeleycs.ml.org/~jsbach/sscan.tar.gz

for now only linux (libc and glibc) are supported, but ports to other
OS's are underway... this tool will be much expanded, this is only a
prototype sorta th1ng...

please, * DO NOT POST SSCAN ON YOUR WEBSITE *, this is an alpha release,
wait for the 1.0 release, then mirror it to your hearts content.  I'm
looking for feedback here.. email me at jsb4ch () hotmail com.  thanks!

p.s. this program is dedicated to wesley "silitek" walsh, thanks for
your support mang