Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Process table attack (from RISKS Digest)

From: olle () vattenfall se (Olle Segerdahl,D)
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 18:33:34 +0100

On Sat, 20 Feb 1999, Mark Boolootian wrote:

The Process Table Attack is a [relatively] new kind of denial-of-service
attack that can be waged against numerous network services on a variety of
different UNIX systems. The attack is launched against network services
which fork() or otherwise allocate a new process for each incoming TCP/IP
connection.  Although the standard UNIX operating system places limits on
the number of processes that any one user may launch, there are no limits on
the number of processes that the superuser can create other than the hard
limits imposed by the operating system. Since incoming TCP/IP connections
are usually handled by servers that run as root, it is possible to
completely fill a target machine's process table with multiple
instantiations of network servers. Properly executed, this attack prevents
any other command from being executed on the target machine.

How is this DoS different from the Old "rescource exaustion" attacks?

Anyone remember the "octopus" ? (keeping multiple sendmail-connections and
depriving the machine of either memory or proc#:s, whichever came first.)

I don't think it's fair to say it's "a [relatively] new kind of denial-of-service attack"

/olle

--
Above views are my own unless explicitly stated otherwise.
God is real, until declared integer.