Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Pro/wuFTPD DoS

From: abelits () PHOBOS ILLTEL DENVER CO US (Alex Belits)
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 1999 23:30:38 -0800

On Sun, 21 Feb 1999, Chris Wedgwood wrote:

I think I will probably write it again, since I don't I have it saved
somewhere.  There's nothing fascinating actually. This seem to be a heap
buffer overflow, which smashes pointers to the dirnames (thus you could
probably get access to files outsite chrooted envinronment):

Could someone please clue me in on how this might be so, assuming
*ftpd correctly chroot's itself then relinquishes permissions?

  There is a claim in the description of that hole, that wu-ftpd doesn't
relinquish permissions properly, changing the uid "temporarily". I assume,
it means that saved uid is not changed at that point, however I
haven't checked in the source, if this is true.

--
Alex

 Excellent.. now give users the option to cut your hair you hippie!
                                                  -- Anonymous Coward