Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: [HERT] Advisory #002 Buffer overflow in lsof

From: woloszyn () IT PL (M.C.Mar)
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 1999 14:13:17 +0100

On Thu, 18 Feb 1999 route () RESENTMENT INFONEXUS COM wrote:

[Gene Spafford wrote]

| People who publish bugs/exploits that are not being actively exploited
| *before* giving the vendor a chance to fix the flaws are clearly
| grandstanding.  They're part of the problem -- not the solution.

    Who is to say the vulnerability in question was NOT being exploited
    prior to release?  Odds are it was.  Bugtraq is a full-diclosure list.
    The `problem` as you succinctly put it is in *non-disclosure*.  While
    it is still questionable whether or not the original posters found the bug
    themselves (the advisory lacked any technical detail) calling them part of

In the adv. there was written:
Author:          Mariusz Tmoggie Marcinkiewicz <tmoggie () hert org>

I'm the witness that he DID found a bug themselfe (maybe he was not FIRST
ever). Tmoggie called me tuesday evening and he said that there is a bug
in lsof (he was prepairing CD with S.u.s.e distribution, so he installed
it and did some find for suid/sgid files). Next day, I found his mail
about it (which was addressed to hert and lam3rz mailing lists) in my
mailbox, so I wrote an exploit (it took me about half an hout), I used
slackware linux. After that I posted it back to HERT. Becouse of something
there was a lot of rumor about this vul. on #hax channel on IRC, so
Anthony Zboralski <acz () HERT ORG> HERT maintainer decided to write an
advisory to made it public.

  the problem is a misfire of your disdain (attacking them on the content
  of the advisory --or lack thereof-- is a much better call).  The problem,
  in this case, would be the malevolent individual(s) breaking into your
  machine exploiting this bug (before or after it was disclosed).

So now you know WHY it was published so fast, without giving a chance to
fix it...
BTW: finding such kind of vulnerability is not so hard! As I can undestand
that authors of lsof could be not familiar with security, but I cannot
undestand WHY people that are NOT good in security issues are doing
COMMERCIAL distributions (like S.u.s.e or RH)???

  Don't shoot the messenger.

:)

--
Kil3r () hert org