Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Pingflood attack against Windows98

From: fboliva () SAFENETWORKS COM (Fabio Bastiglia Oliva)
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 21:44:24 -0300

Hello all,

        As I said before, forgive me, because my english is not so good!
        I'll make a "Multi-reply" in this email... It's easier ;)
        Thanks for all the replies!

James <pyro () pyro za net> wrote:

This on a LAN or Internet or both?

        I made this test in my LAN.

-LAN Speed: 10Mbits.
-NICs (Network Interface Card): 3Com905btx, Genius, Encore & Realtek.
-Hubs: 3Com Super Stack II.
-Windows98 Versions: 4.10.1998 (Portuguese and English versions)

Laurent LEVIER <llevier () argosnet com> wrote:

I tried with the French version of Windows 98.

when I run ping -l 65000 -f IPaddr.

ping refuses. Of course ping -f 65000 is not accepted too.

Strange the ping command changes between US & FR version.

        Sorry, I made a mistake when sent the email to Bugtraq. The
correct command (From Linux Slackware 3.6 Kernel 2.0.36) line is:

                ping -f -s 65000 IPaddr

Quantum <fusion77 () bellsouth net> wrote:

I just tried it & had no success at my Win98 dos prompt,

        Try from a linux... I got these results flooding from a
Linux Slackware 3.6 Kernel 2.0.36...

Tom Van Riper <tomv () dreamscape com>

yeah no kidding, the world has known a dialup connection weither it be
windows or a unix type operating system, that a small amount of icmp
packets will kill the connection for years, thats old stuff.
try synfluding on ports 0-65535 for some real fun ;)

        Hehe... But a synflood just made the LAN Communication slower,
and didn't affected Windows 98 than pingflood affected!

Tom Van Riper
Dreamscape Online

Best Regards
Fabio Bastiglia Oliva - Diretor