Bugtraq mailing list archives

Nessus 990201

From: deraison () NESSUS ORG (Renaud Deraison)
Date: Mon, 1 Feb 1999 00:07:11 +0100

Paris, 1st Feb.

I am pleased to announce the availability of Nessus 990201.
Nessus is a security scanner released under the GPL, the
full description of which has already been posted on this
list several months ago, so I will not redescribe it once
more in order to save everyone's bandwith.

This new version includes :

 - more than 180 security checks
 - a ciphered communication layer between the server and the
   client (yes, this scanner is made up of a server, in charge
   of the tests, and a client which is the frontend of the product)
 - GTK 1.1 compatibility for the traditional Unix client.

For those who do not like the X11 client, a perl client
has written by Jochen Wiedmann <joe () ispsoft de>.

The Unix version of Nessus currently compiles under :

- Linux (glibc and libc)
- FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD
- Solaris 2.6
It was also reported to compile under IRIX with gcc, but its
runtime behavior could not be tested under this environment.

You can download Nessus at :

http://www.nessus.org/download/unix.html

The perl client is available at :
ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/languages/perl/CPAN/authors/id/JWIED
The archive name being :  Net-Nessus-0.04.tar.gz

The Nessus website contains pointers to the Nessus mailing list
and FAQ -- be sure to check them out.

In the hope that this tool will be helpful to some people around
here,

                                -- Renaud Deraison

ps: Nessus is totally free -- there is no company behind it, and
the download page is advertisement free, at the opposite of
some others so-called "free" security scanners.